Is the Cost of Methadone Really Worth it?
Many individuals ask themselves the benefits of treatment will be worth the daily cost. The answer is a resounding yes. Because methadone treatment does require visits to the facility as well as other everyday costs, it can seem like the expense truly adds up. However, as compared to the toll that long-term opioid abuse takes, methadone treatment is truly vital for many individuals.
We can help you find methadone treatment. Call 800-530-0431Who Answers? toll free for help today.
The Cost of Methadone vs. the Cost of Opioid Abuse
The cost of methadone treatment is nothing compared to the toll which opioid abuse takes on a person’s health (both mental and physical), relationships, work life, and even their bank account. Heroin is one of the most costly street drugs that also causes severe addiction, and abusing the drug regularly can become extremely expensive. According to CESAR, “The average heroin addict can sped up to $200 per day to maintain his or her addiction.” When compared with the cost of methadone treatment, which can sometimes be as high as $10 a day, there is a clear difference in monetary cost that favors methadone treatment.
Still, many individuals abuse prescription opioids because they are cheaper or easier to obtain. According to the NDIC, Oxycontin (a brand name opioid drug that is often abused) “sells for between 50 cents and $1 per milligram.” However, other costs are incurred with the abuse of these drugs including
- Health problems requiring medical attention
- Loss of job or trouble in school associated with drug abuse
- Legal problems that can include becoming arrested, facing prison time, or paying fines
- The high possibility of becoming addicted to heroin as, according to the NIDA Teen, “nearly half of young people who inject heroin surveyed in three recent studies reported abusing prescription opioids before starting to use heroin”
These issues are not only financially problematic, they also have a high cost for the individual on a personal level. Choosing methadone treatment over opioid abuse is actually much less expensive financially as well as preventative of many other issues that may affect the individual who continues abusing opioid drugs.
Call 800-530-0431Who Answers? toll free to find methadone treatment today.
Is Treatment Worth the Cost?
If you are an addicted individual, treatment is absolutely worth the cost. It can be extremely difficult to stop abusing opioid drugs without any kind of assistance, and many who do often face relapse and overdose. Methadone treatment can help protect you from these outcomes as well as
- Reduce your risk of health problems and becoming infected by transmittable diseases
- Provide you with someone to talk to and answers to your questions about drugs
- Change the way you look at opioid drugs and arm you with the strength to fight cravings and the knowledge to avoid triggers
- Improve outcomes of possible pregnancies, the health of individuals living with HIV, and other conditions
In addition, there are many ways in which you can receive support for the cost of methadone maintenance. The treatment itself may seem expensive, but when you consider the ways in which it can drastically improve your life as well as the high cost of choosing drug abuse over treatment, the answer is clear: methadone treatment is absolutely worth it.