For more than 40 years, methadone maintenance has been a successful strategy for helping people overcome an addiction to heroin, as well as other drugs that contain opiates.
The Reasons to Consider this Treatment
While there are many options for beating an opiate addiction, methadone maintenance has been proven to be one of the most effective. Here are 10 benefits of this type of treatment:
- Eliminate withdrawal symptoms. This is the top benefit, as nobody wants to go through the withdrawal process.
- Relieve drug cravings. One of the biggest challenges of overcoming an addiction is dealing with cravings. Methadone maintenance helps relieve these cravings, thus making it easier to stay on track to a full recovery.
- Availability. As methadone maintenance use continues to grow, so does the number of facilities, both public and private, that provide this type of treatment. This makes it easier for anybody who requires the treatment to get the help they need.
- Reduced mortality. There is no denying the fact that an opiate addiction increases the chance of death. Methadone maintenance helps fight against this.
- Can be used in conjunction with other treatment plans. For example, you can use methadone maintenance, along with individual counseling, to overcome an addiction.
- Reduced criminal activity. Once a person begins with this type of treatment, his or her life will immediately get better. This often means reduced criminal activity, which is always a benefit.
- Easy to get started. Not every medical professional is licensed to prescribe methadone maintenance therapy. However, those who are can help you get started with treatment without delay, as long as they feel it is in your best interest.
- Controlled intake. With methadone maintenance, you have a doctor watching over everything you do. This allows you to be confident in the path you are taking.
- Results within a few weeks. It does not take long for this treatment to yield results. This is a far cry from other treatment strategies that take months or longer to work.
- More likely to avoid IV drugs in the future. This improves the chance of remaining sober, while also avoiding serious health concerns, such as HIV.
This is a short list of some of the many benefits of methadone maintenance. If you or a loved one could benefit from this type of treatment, consult with a medical professional who can help you decide if this is the answer.