According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, there are many types of treatment available. Although methadone treatment is one of the leading opiate addiction treatments, there are alternatives available for those who do not want to use a methadone treatment center. Some of these alternatives are available at the same treatment centers that provide methadone. All you have to do is request treatment alternatives.
Inpatient treatment is a residential form of treatment. A patient stays at the treatment facility while they are recovering from addiction. Here you stay at the treatment facility and receive which ever treatment you choose. Some of the advantages to inpatient treatment facilities are:
- You have help 24 hours a day. If you need assistance or start to have issues in the middle of the night, you can talk to a certified counselor.
- The treatment facility can treat your symptoms immediately as they come up. If you need medication or something to help with the withdrawal symptoms, you can get it any time of day.
- Counseling is provided onsite. There are both individual and group counseling sessions that are conducted throughout the day.
- Many inpatient treatment facilities offer classes, life skills training, and meditation training while you are there.
- Most inpatient treatment facilities also offer dietary counseling as well as nutritionists to help provide you with the vitamins and minerals you need to recover quickly.
- Inpatient treatment centers also offer a variety of different exercise and aquatic equipment to help you regain your physical strength.
Inpatient treatment is a viable alternative to a methadone treatment center. They can provide methadone treatment if it is necessary but that is not the only medical option. During inpatient treatment, you will be closely monitored if you need it.
Outpatient treatment is a nonresidential treatment option. Like a methadone treatment center you visit the center daily, weekly, or monthly but an outpatient treatment center offers more services than just methadone treatment.
Outpatient treatment offers you a chance to remain at work or school while receiving addiction therapy. Most of outpatient treatment centers offer all of the same services that an inpatient treatment facility does except on an outpatient basis. You can take advantage of the many programs available or decide which programs are the best for you.
Many people choose outpatient treatment rather than a methadone treatment center because of the variety of programs offered. Outpatient treatment can be combined with other types of treatment when necessary.
Holistic treatment centers offer alternatives to traditional treatment. The philosophy of holistic treatment is to treat the whole person rather than just the addiction. This means they focus on healing the mind, body, and spirit as well as the addiction. Most people who choose holistic treatment prefer a less medical approach to addiction treatment.